Subject: [Leica] LUG M9 owners ( was [Fwd: Leica Newsletter --05 October2009])
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 13:22:21 -0400

2009-10-06-13:04:10 grduprey at mchsi.com:
> I never thought twice about the crop factor, I shot what I saw in the
> viewfinder.

Yeah, that's always been my experience with the M8.  You make sure the
picture you want is inside the framelines, and push the button.  It
continues to be the best camera (for me) that I've ever used, and I've
never understood the obsession with a digital camera's sensor having to
be exactly the same size as a hunk of 35mm film used to be.

Having said that, it sounds as if the M9 is an even better M8, and I'd
love to have one;  hope to, eventually.  But not because of some special
magic about the particular format 35mm still film used to have.

> the M8 works just fine for me... That and the DMR.

What he said.

The DMR is a particularly special case -- bulky, slow in a few ways,
not so great in the dim -- but (in addition to the great image quality
under the right conditions) it has one fantastic feature which I (as
an unrepentant rangefinder guy) absolutely LOVE, and despair of ever
seeing in another SLR: a frameline!  I really really like being able to
see some context around what will actually be in the picture.  As in a
rangefinder, it helps me do the visual edit to choose the picture.  I
know it's just an artifact of the way the DMR is a retrofit, and it
makes me sad that I'll never see it in a future SLR.

 -Jeff M

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] LUG M9 owners ( was [Fwd: Leica Newsletter --05 October2009]))
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] LUG M9 owners ( was [Fwd: Leica Newsletter --05 October2009]))
Message from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] LUG M9 owners ( was [Fwd: Leica Newsletter --05 October2009]))