Subject: [Leica] Fixing IIIf shutter pinholes
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:58:25 -0400

Vic writes:

I just got back some shots from using a IIIf and 3.5cm Elmar lens.

The good - I was shooting a balloon launch and the colours and sharpness

were wonderful.

The bad - looks like I have two pinholes in the first curtain of the

shutter.  Sigh.  Two identically placed spots on every frame.

So, who's the top gun for economically replacing shutter curtains these

days?

- - - - - - - - -

Vick,

If the camera is not used heavily, you can delay the replacement of the
shutter curtains for several years by simply covering the pinholes with a
dab of black acrylic paint. Hobby stores sell small bottles of acrylic paint
for use on fabrics. One brand "Anita's All Purpose Acrylic Craft Paint" is
sold in 2 ounce bottles for less than $1 at Michaels or Moore craft stores
(one or the other is in most large malls in the US). Remove the camera
lens. Try to locate the position of the pinholes by examining the
negative. Look at both the leading and the following shutter blind. When you
find the hole put a small dab of the acrylic paint on a toothpick and gently
apply it to the curtain. Let dry a couple of hours before using the camera.
Otherwise be prepared to spring for a couple of hundred dollars at DAG.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jose.i.morais at gmail.com (José Morais) ([Leica] Fixing IIIf shutter pinholes)