Subject: [Leica] Where the Rolleiflex shines...
From: wanderjan at gmail.com (Jan Decher)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:57:34 -0400

Dave,
I feel just the same about Rolleiflex images.  See some stuff on my Flickr
pages:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/sets/72157600205838879/
Still have to upload this summer's stuff from England and Germany.
Are you on the Rollei Users Group?

For me B&W is clearly all about 6x6 Rollei.  With color negs & slides Leica
brilliance wins.

I use digital mostly for my (zoological) work and from a price-performance
reasoning it will most likely be the new Canon 7D.  Canon got a lot of
things right with that one (finally a decent viewfinder & built in external
flash slave control all at 18 MP!).
Don't really need video in an SLR but it's nice for the occasional animal
action sequence.
Jan

====From: "David Rodgers" <drodgers at casefarms.com>
Every time I use a Rolleiflex I mutter how "only 12 frames per roll" can
be limiting." (No 220 for me!). Then I look at the results and wonder if
it's just the opposite. There's a mysterious beauty in square BW negs
that are just big enough you can appreciate the contact prints without
the aid of a loupe. Not to mention enlargements, which shouldn't stand
up to digital prints, but somehow do and then some.
Maybe it's the level of effort it takes to get the end result that makes
me appreciate them so. Either that or Leica doesn't have a monopoly on
mystique :-).
Dave R

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] Where the Rolleiflex shines...)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Where the Rolleiflex shines...)