Subject: [Leica] Recovering a Classic Leica
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:55:15 -0400

I suppose the complaints about the Leica M9 finish have something to do with
it but I have had several requests for a three year old post about
recovering Leicas with 3M tape. Here it is. Incidentally the Leica shown in
the gallery illustrating the technique is my favorite walk around camera. I
used it today to take pictures of old tractors and farm equipment. It seemed
appropriate since it was older than most of the tractors.

- - - - - -?

RECOVERING A LEICA

Vulcanite is Leica's cruel joke on Leicaholics. It becomes brittle with age
and flakes off at the slightest excuse. Even Leica has abandoned Vulcanite
on the new cameras, substituting a textured PVC covering.?

I have recovered several user LTM cameras, an M3, and an Olympus OM1 with 3M
Safety Walk Nonskid Tape and have found it to be significantly better in
appearance and handling ease than the original aged and battered Vulcanite.
The nonskid tape is a resilient textured rubberlike material sold in
hardware stores for $1.99/ft. in a 2" width. It comes in black, grey, and
white colors with an adhesive back. The 2" width is perfect for Leica
bodies. I wouldn't recover a valuable collector quality Leica but it is just
the thing for a hard working user camera. You can also play around with
people's minds. I covered a IIIc in grey and panic fellow Leica fans when
they think I am taking a Luftwaffe model on hiking trips in the Appalachians.

The process is quite simple. Remove the cracked Vulcanite from the camera.
That's the easy part. Next make a paper cutting pattern for the nonskid
material. Be very precise in marking the position and outline of the lens
mounting flange, the strap lugs, and the baseplate lug cutout. Indicate the
exact position of the two shell mounting screws and the slow speed dial on
the LTM models. The paper pattern should wrap around the body shell and be
joined just below the center of the lens mounting flange. When you are
satisfied that the pattern is as good as you can get it, cut the nonskid
material to the same shape using a sharp Exacto knife. Since the 2" tape
edges are perfectly straight, I have found it easiest to use one side for
the upper edge of the covering, the part that fits next to the top plate.
Use a leather punch to cut precise holes for the strap mounting lugs and the
shell mounting screws. The slow speed dial is attached to the chassis. You
can press the soft materia
 l between the slow speed dial and the top plate.?

When the covering is cut to shape remove the backing paper and align it to
the camera. The sticky adhesive permits some movement as long as it isn't
pressed hard to the underlying surface. When you are satisfied that the
nonskid material is correctly positioned, press it into full adhesion. The
adhesive sticks pretty well immediately and sets quite strong within 24
hours. Check to see that the baseplate fits correctly. Slight corrections
can be made with a sharp razor blade. If you've made an unfixable error, rip
it off and try again. The stuff costs only about $2 per camera.

A more daring alternative approach is to remove the body extrusion entirely.
I am hesitant about suggesting this latter method because most photographers
are reluctant to take screws out of their camera. The body extrusion comes
off easily by removing the black screws on the front of the camera and then
the chromed screws on the top flange. The extrusion then slides off. The
pressure plate and its springs will come off too. You now have a camera
where the moving parts are open to inspection and a body extrusion. Wrapping
a piece of paper around the body extrusion makes it very easy to make the
template used for cutting the covering material. It is easy to mark the
screw holes. Reassembling the camera is easy. Just slide the body back on,
remembering to refit the pressure plate and springs, and put the screws back
in the holes.

Try this first on your least desirable camera. It is not hard, just takes
courage. Leica III cameras are robustly made and it is hard to foul up the
process. Just don't lose any of the screws. If they drop on the floor, you
will never find them again.

Finally, most camera repair persons never bother about replacing the
Vulcanite on that little section between the slow speed dial and the top
plate. It breaks off so easily. They just drip a little black sealing wax,
or black Crayola crayon wax, into the spot and press it flush with the
surface of the remaining Vulcanite. I learned this trick from Sherry Krauter.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Leica+IIIc+with+3M+Safty+Walk+Nonskid+tape_.png.html

When you are done you will have a Leica that looks as good as new (at least
the covering) and handles a lot better. True to its name, the nonskid
material permits a firm grip on the camera and absorbs and cushions slight
impact better than the factory covering. If you hate Vulcanite and don't
want to spend $100 on a custom cover give this a try.

Larry Z