Subject: [Leica] X1 to G11 comparison
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:50:36 +0100

Hi Larry,
I had an Olympus E-P1 for a while and did not like it because of the
lack of viewfinder.
It is actually a plastic camera with a stylish metal cladding. The
lens is also quite plastic. The sensor is a touch smaller than the one
in the X1.
I think there is no current camera comparable to the X1. It is a
"replacement" for the fixed lens compact many of us carried in the
"film era :-)".  I had an Olympus XA and a Nikon 35ti, still have as a
matter of fact. I don't know whether this market still exists, but I
would be surprised and disappointed if the X1 was not considerably
better made than the Olympus and Foveon sensored cameras.
I have a Canon G10, which is very good in bright light. I would also
be surprised and disappointed if its zoom lens is as good as the Leica
prime, and amazed if it comes close in poor lighting conditions.
Frank D