Subject: [Leica] The brilliance of Leica pricing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:18:52 -0400

> The subtext of my not having a clue about the M8 viewfinder is that just
> couldn't bring myself to care about a machine that I couldn't help but
> consider stopgap technology. I never even looked at the spec sheet until
> today.
>
> It's not that I wouldn't make the digital jump; I just couldn't bear going
> a platform that got less out of the glass than it was designed for, and
> required great expense to replace the glass I was used to using to
> accomplish
> the same ends. It took a long time and a lot of effort to find the glass
> that
> works for me, and it simply didn't make sense to sacrifice that for a
> piece of
> gear that would inevitably be superseded.
>
> I will almost certainly get an M9, eventually.
>
> Of course, I need to get a job first.

A cropped format camera is perfect for cut rate glass which gives you great
performance in the middle sweat spot but falls apart in the outer area.
Leica glass is premium glass giving you  very excellent performance out to
the edges which is very much why the cost that extra decimal point and are
the true marvels that they are.
Also Leica M shooting is all about shooting wide.
24 * 1.33  = 31.92
21 * 1.33  = 27.93
18 * 1.33 = 23.94
The bottom line.
Gee you get a 24 if you go out and get the new 18.
Shooting with the M9 will be a major modern revelation to all concerned.

Mark William Rabiner