Subject: [Leica] OT Help trip planning
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:32:10 -0700

After the kids are all back in school and families are not out camping, we
are planning to take a long trip in our small motorhome/van across country
to New England to see some fall color and historical sites.  While I was
born in New York, I have not been along the east coast since I was 5 years
old.  (I take that back - boot camp in Orlando - don't care to return there)
I was wondering if anyone had some tips, must-see's, or other favorite
haunts in the New England area for us to see.  Or for that matter, any where
else along our route.  It will go across the northern US pretty much along
I-90 until we cut north by Syracuse.  Maybe even some of Canada might be
included.  After filling up my CF cards, we will head south along the
eastern seaboard.  Want to get to Charleston SC to see where I lived from
ages 3-5, then back across the south to see my brother in Austin before
ending up in SoCal at my wife's family.

Major cities we are wanting to see include Boston, Washington DC, New
Orleans.  My wife is adamant that we will NOT see New York city.  No
changing her mind there.  Too bad, as I would love to see where I spent the
first 3 years of my life.  1710 Crotona Park East.  Still there?  Who knows.

I also see I-90 back east is a toll road.  Those toll roads scare me.  We
live in very rural Eastern Washington and are totally unfamiliar with such
things.  Also, been told it is much better to park outside the major cities
and take some form of public transit into the city.  That, too, scares me as
I have never done anything like that.  I have visions of the Kingston Trio
song being lost on the MTA.  Will I ever return????

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Off list, please.

Aram