Subject: [Leica] Leica s2 spec on dpreview
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:39:25 -0400

Not so mysterious. I'll tell you and not even threaten you. The MF
backs and the S2 have CCD
sensors with photosites of approximately 6 microns in size, like the
fingernail sensors on P&S
cameras. The best high-ISO performance I believe is achieved with
cameras like the Nikon D700,

(see http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/f1point4+and+be+there/)

which in addition to the inherently lower-noise CMOS sensor, has
approximately 8.5-micron
photosites. This is enough to make a big difference in low-light noise
level. (The high-zoot
Canons have 6-micron pixels and twice as many of them. Twice the
noise! ;-) )

Overall sensor size has nothing to do with noise. Sensor architecture
and photosite size are
everything. Well, almost. The S2 should have undistinguished high-ISO
performance.

As far as the How-2008-is-THAT? display size of 460K pixels goes, the
S2 uses an OLED
(organic LED) display, which is said to be the state of the art in
color rendition and contrast,
and a big advancement over backlit LCD displays. Prolly prohibitively
expensive in higher
density, if available at all. Sony's little (desk-size, $2000!) OLED
TV is said to blow away
anything else yet seen. Can't testify to that myself. Oh, wait,
"prohibitively expensive" a
reason for Leica not to use it? Hah. Sorry. Must not be available.
be written on the subject of the engineering tradeoffs between
optimizing color rendition
and contrast of the display on the one hand and resolution on the
other. If they can offer
each lens with or without a central shutter, why not offer the body
with the choice of OLED
for critical color or LCD for critical resolution?

?howard

Replies: Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] Leica s2 spec on dpreview)