Subject: [Leica] OT: Contax 645 one more time
From: wanderjan at gmail.com (Jan Decher)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:12:07 -0400

Sorry, Mark,
but a Hasselblad does not go "click" that would be at the most a Rolleiflex
TLR.  Hassy's, just like the Rolleiflex SL66, have distinct mirror slaps
that are more like a "clonk" (see this German Hassy site for a sound sample:
http://www.stefanheymann.de/501cm/hassi-ausloesen.mp3).

The Contax 645 mirror is surprisingly well damped, allowing a shutter of up
to 1/4000  sec., and making this MF camera very suited for handheld and
wildlife photography (if only Kyocera/Zeiss had bothered to offer a 500mm
lens...!).
The additional sounds you described are from the actually very quiet 1.6 fps
built-in winder.
Just for the record,
Jan
-----------------------------
I went out shooting with a friend of mine from Denmark he with his new
Contax 645 had had for a few weeks, me  with my Hasselblad CM I'd had a few
decades. no tripods this time. We both lined up for the same shots.
I'd go click.
He'd go click buzz zap clank click.
8 things had to happen on this Contax 645 before it would take a picture.
Compared to the Hasselblad it definably lacked a certain kind of elegance.
He traded in his entire Contax 645 system for Hasselblad the following week.
He was, by the way, normally a tripod shooter.
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] OT: Contax 645 one more time)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: Contax 645 one more time)