Subject: [Leica] Hasselblad digi-backs, lenses - was M9 ? M8
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:36:38 -0500

Not "better than."
Different.

If you want to achieve
remarkable detail
in an 8x10 print
the 8x10 polaroid
was about the most
direct way to go.
Nothing between subject and light sensitive surface
but the quality of lens.

I've an 8x10 polaroid processor and three or four holders for sale!

Now with the top of line sensors
you can achieve 190 - 400 MB, 16 BIT TIFF FILES
with nothing between the sensor and the subject
but the quality of the lens.
If you have the best sample
of the best APO lens
optimized for the sensor
then yes,
an 8x10 print from the top of the line sensor
will rival an 8x10 contact print

or so I'm lead to believe
by the best tiff and hi rez jpg's I've seen.

My humble M8 with 50 mm asph lux
delivers 8x10 prints which rival my 8x10 contact prints
if, and when, I've done everything absolutely right
and the camera is locked down on a tripod.
There's no grain and phenomenal fine detail;
which are the hall marks of an 8x10 contact print
(now if I could only have rise/fall and tilt/shift
I'd be in a certain sort of heaven).

Keep in mind that the difference
between a silver print
and an ink jet print is significant