Subject: [Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:55:18 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

A friend of mine says:

Digital sensors, regardless of how tightly packed the pixels are, are
not even close to film when it comes to capturing 'resolution'. That's
why sensors require low pass (dumbing down) filters.
<<<

I find it more useful and accurate to compare a specific film with a
particular sensor under specified conditions.  If the comparison is too
general a case can be made for either medium being "better".

Many comparisons I've seen that show film out-resolves digital involves a
black-on-white test chart, black-and-white film, and a bayer-pattern
sensor.  This comparison favors the B&W film because it throws away all of
sensor's color information and gradation, and the film resolution can be
represented with just a few silver-halide grains.  The bayer-pattern sensor
can provide all of the color information and gradation in the same pixel
pattern as for its black/white information (comparable to B&W film) while a
color film needs multiple dye clouds visually blended together to represent
the same color information in a single bayer-pattern pixel.

Neither the M8.x nor the DMR use an AA filter so it seems this is not
really "required".

Now, my specified conditions: Comparing 11" x 14" lightjet prints made from
Provia 400 scanned at 4000 dpi with 11" x 14" lightjet prints made from ISO
400 DMR files (same lens for all photos), the gallery owner I met with this
week did not conclude that the film-origin prints were sharper.  He had no
idea what camera, lens or technology I used on any of the photos so he had
no vested interest in either technology.  He singled out the DMR prints and
commented on the 'remarkable detail and color quality', and he asked what
camera I was using.  The prints he chose for the gallery were all from the
DMR.  YMMV.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

Replies: Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?)
Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?)