Subject: [Leica] drobo question
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:32:07 -0400

At 03:15 PM 8/2/2009, you wrote:
>2) FYI, with the ReadyNAS family (with which I'm more familiar): they
>always said that if you chose a traditional, standard RAID scheme (like
>RAID-5), if it ever became necessary to read the data without a
>ReadyNAS, if you could stuff the drives in a Linux box, its software
>RAID should recognise and properly interpret the drives and present your
>volume appropriately.

This is all such Greek to me.  I really think there is a need for
somebody (Brian and LUG gurus) to come up with a plan.  Tell me -
here is what you buy, here is how you program it, here is how you
recover from disaster.  What do I need to protect my photos - many,
many terabytes - as I try to work from two offices?  Drobo?  NAS?
JBOD?  If it is something I've never heard of like NAS, is there a
tutorial?  Can I buy a package deal?  If I can't buy a package deal,
would this not be a wonderful opportunity for someone (Brian and LUG
gurus) to provide one?  I'll pay for it!!  Just do it very, very quickly.

THANKS!!

Tina

PS:  To show you how desperate I am, my husband (now retired) has
contacted the IT expert at his former company who managed to screw up
every computer program ever conceived to try to help me with my
external drive.  NO!!  (He knows what a bad mood I'm in when
computers don't do what I want them to and would do anything to make
that right) ;-)

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] drobo question)
Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] For Tina: a starting storage glossary.)
Message from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] drobo question)