Subject: [Leica] Thunderstorm last night
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:34:43 -0700

Forgive the possible multiple posts, but my last two attempts came back to
me.

We had a small thunderstorm roll through at dusk yesterday.  I have never
seen lightning at this time of the day, where there was still some color in
the sky and clouds, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I shot 50 frames and
only caught lightning on two of them.  Had the camera (Rebel XTi) set on
sequential exposure, and the shutter at 5 or 8 seconds, and the cable
release clicked on so I did not have to stand there.  It would fire one
shot, then write it to disk then fire the next shot.  Last time I did this
was with my R8 and motor winder and it worked well.  Problem with the
digital Rebel is that after each 5 second exposure it took about 10 seconds
to write the info to the card before it took the next shot.  So, I missed
about 66% of the time.  And, every time I saw a great bolt, I looked over to
the camera and it was still writing the previous exposure.  Drats.  Maybe a
50 D would write faster?  I think it has something to do with the null
exposure when using long shutter speeds.  Maybe I could turn that off if I
looked at the manual.

did catch this one, however.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/-7.jpg.html

comments and criticism welcome.