Subject: [Leica] Boating Pad #10 - "Huntress"
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:14:36 -0400

C. Raymond Hunt was one of the most prolific boat designers of the
last century.  He designed a wide range of powerboats and sailboats
that were often highly innovative and almost always widely admired.
Many of his boats are considered classics.  The Concordia Yawl and the
Boston Whaler are just two that come to mind off the top of my head.
The classic deep-V powerboat hull is also his.

The owner describes Huntress as a Ray Hunt "one-off."  It's very much
in the tradition of the plywood slab-sided 110's and 210's that Hunt
also designed in the post-WWII era.  Those were intended to be fast,
low-cost, racing sailboats.  they were to be cheap and great fun to
sail.  Like those boats, Huntress is long and very narrow, designed
for maximum speed and sailing pleasure.  She appears to be strip-
planked, a build method that would have been very new at the time
Huntress was designed.

We were anchored off the Weepeckets in Buzzards Bay having lunch a
couple of weeks ago when Huntress sailed in and anchored next to us.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/300_4337.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/ldz944

Huntress Bow-On

You can see just how narrow she is by comparing her beam to the height
of the guy standing on the bow.  Her maximum beam looks to be about
four feet.  That's astonishingly narrow for a boat about 30-feet long
and very much the opposite of most boats today that are built beamy to
maximize the available space below.  Huntress was designed for speed.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/300_4340.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/m4ho7r

The Boating Party

The cockpit was is very long and narrow making for a tight squeeze if
more than a few people go along for the sail.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/300_4352.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/mud6ff

I've not been able to find out anything more about Huntress on the
web, but more about Ray Hunt's boats is available here:

http://www.huntdesigns.com/about_ray_hunt.htm

D300 etc.  C&C always welcome.

Regards,

Dick