Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 42, Issue 222
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:41:00 -0400

> On Jul 25, 2009, at 3:16:45 PM, Ted wrote:
>
> you have no credibility as a photojournalist doing a proper
> and truthful assignment and should be "happy snapping for Playboy!
>
> Many years back I would have loved it. Different strokes for different
> folks. My first paying job in photography was in 1948 as a photo
> stringer for the Boston Globe. As a joke, the Photo Editor assigned me
> the burlesque beat in Scolley Square. Boston was a big Navy town then
> and the star performers at the Old Howard theater rated a couple of
> paragraphs and a picture or two. The burlesque theaters bought big
>
> On my first week Sally Rand and her troupe were the featured
> performers. Motherly (then middle aged) Sally took me, a shy 18 year
> old cameraman with a huge Speed Graphic, under her wing. She arranged
> shoots with her girls, warned me which ones to approach and which to
> stay away from. I was in heaven. My pictures, stage managed by Sally,
> even impressed the Photo Editor and I was promoted to more
> substantive, if less erotic, work. I kept in touch with Sally for
> several years and visited her every time she was in Boston. Not street
> photography to be sure.
>
> Larry Z

Such a great story!!!
True stories are always the best.

Looking into Steichen or Steiglitz (I confuse them for some reason) a ways
back they were talking about how the new low man on the totem pole on a
paper always got the fashion assignments... Looked upon with derision by the
top shooters and writers. The last thing they wanted to shoot. My! have
times changed! The fashion shooters have lofty reputations now. You could
twist my arm I think I'd love to photograph a top model with a great team of
people and great clothes and locations.

Mark William Rabiner