Subject: [Leica] Women
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:24:28 -0700

Philip Forrest: re Women. Offered:

Subject: Re: [Leica] Women

And you recall wrong Ted as I've only mentioned this once before in an
aside. I think you may have me confused with another Philip, whom I rallied
against with the rest of the LUG in defense of Tina's work.<<<<<

Then please accept my apology for mistaking you for the other Philip.

I truly believe if you were to list a set of straight forward questions
without a great deal of meaningless jargon, as in 1-2-3 etc regarding the
misuse of our cameras photographing women in a hurtful disrespectful and
mean fashion, although I must say I've never seen any photographs on the LUG
in ten years in this fashion. Simply because most of the "women folk" posted
have been out in public displaying whatever it is you imagine we shouldn't
photograph.

Let me say indisputably,  when I've been assigned a documentary to
photograph the world and people there in no matter whom, I shoot everything
that is part of the location pertaining to the customs of the people. That
doesn't mean because it's a part of the world where women go about breasts
un-covered I deliberately go looking for bare breasts. If you wish to put
this in everyday perspective of.. "Once you've seen one pair you need not
chasing down a whole bunch more just for the sake of another bare pair." If
that is the case you have no credibility as a photojournalist doing a proper
and truthful assignment and should be "happy snapping for Playboy!

Quite frankly this topic is a round table face to face subject and not one
for the internet, simply because too many wrong interpretations and word
mistakes, not to forget opinions are not explained properly in writing and
internet time zone delays.

For my money the topic should be dropped, unfortunately leaving you with
some questions unanswered. But then that's life in so many situations where
a topic becomes completely blown out of proportions for the value gained in
the end.

However, I'm not the Saloon Keeper so for those who wish to carry this topic
on be my guest. After all the last time I checked at least we are in a free
world of words. Well OK close to it.

Have a good day sir. Once again please accept my apologies re. mistaken
identity.

Cheers,

Dr. ted