Subject: [Leica] Eurotrip
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:43:46 -0400

My experience has been that Germany was credit card friendly and
Denmark more problematic. In Germany I've never had a problem using a
credit card.

The problem I encountered in Denmark was that they use PINs with credit
cards. In Germany, that was not the case. It's a good idea to have a
PIN for your credit card just in case, so that you have it if you need
it.

The other you need to do is to let your credit card company know you
will be using it overseas. That's not enough, however. You need their
international telephone number in case they stop your credit card while
you are there. That happened to me. I told them they I would be in
Europe, and suddenly one day at a gas station in Jutland the card
didn't work. My credit card noted that there was foreign activity on my
card where there usually isn't any and stopped it. They didn't note I
had told them I would be abroad. I had mixed feelings about this, but
the problem didn't stop me. I paid for the gas with cash.

I had cash because my rule of thumb is to travel with a diversified
manner of paying. I actually prefer the debit card to the credit. I
have found the exchange rate to be better with the debit card. Make
sure your debit card has the sign on it that permits it to be used
overseas.

Now let me tell you how even a well "diviersified" traveller can still
have problem.

On my return from Europe, I landed in Newark and wanted to take AMTRAK
home. I tried to pay with my credit card first, but it didn't work in
Newark any better than it had in Denmark. No problem. I offered my
debit card. "We aren't set up to take debit cards," the lady behind the
desk said. No problem, I thought. "I'll pay in cash, then," I said. "We
don't accept cash."  I laughed, called the credit card company and
within five minutes had it up and working again. I could have called
them from Europe, but hadn't felt the need. Remember, there is a daily
limit on your debit card.

Cheers--Doug