Subject: [Leica] OT: Eurotrip Question
From: scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:30:45 -0400

Mark,

A lot of it is cultural, just get use to it. We haven't been to
Austria for about 10-15 years but back then, in the small villages,
it's all cash. There was an ATM in every village though no merchant
may accept credit card. It's not as if Austria doesn't have the
telecommunication infrastructure. Every waiter/waitress carried a big
stack of paper currencies to make change.

In general, places and businesses that has a lot of tourist business
will accept credit card but otherwise, don't count on it. The overhead
is just too high for small businesses. It is is also different between
big cities and the rural areas.

Using China as an example, higher-end hotels, restaurants and stores
frequented by tourists in major cities will accept credit card but the
prices are correspondingly higher. I love eating street food and I can
guarantee you that no Asian street food vendor, even in Singapore
accepts plastic. If I were to travel outside of the major cities in
China, I would carry a lot of cash. Until fairly recently, the only
ATM in China from which a debit card can be used to withdrawal cash
are the ATMs located at the main Bank of China branch in the cities.
Now it's much easier.

Of the countries on your list, NZ merchants usually accepts CC. Credit
card is often accepted in France even in the smaller village by hotels
and nicer restaurants. Iceland is going the way of the Euro so you
better carry some Euros. :)

Regards,
Spencer