Subject: [Leica] The eye as a doublet.
From: LRZeitlin at aol.com (LRZeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:50:29 EDT

Goeff writes:

How do you
get doublet in there???

Most of the strength of the eye as a lens is due to the curved shape of the
cornea. The eye's lens does, indeed, adjust focus, at least until the age
of 40 or so. By that time it loses flexibility and you have to wear glasses
for reading. Actually the optical system of the eye is a bit more complex
than I described. It has many of the structural features of the Box Brownie
-
or rather I should say that the Brownie has many of features of the eye. The
diaphragm is behind the lens and the retina is curved just like the film
plane of the Brownie. The only camera I know that consciously tried to
emulate
the optical characteristics of the eye is the original Riga Minox, f 3.5
15mm FL lens and curved film plane.

In this computer centric age, Leica's approach to designing the best
possible optics is so 19th century. Nature abandoned this method several
million
years ago. ;-)

Larry Z

What's for dinner tonight?  Find quick and easy dinner
ideas for any occasion.
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000008)

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] The eye as a doublet.)