Subject: [Leica] Hasselblad/Leica on the moon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:41:12 -0400

In the 193 minute film The Right Stuff about the Mercury program from the
Tom Wolfe which I've seen at least a dozen times and mean to buy the book
(used) in the beginning when they first posed the new Mercury Astronauts
together for a group picture the press is depicted as all using Speed
Graphics.
That would have been 1960 or 1961.
Not one Rolleiflex. And not one Leica M2 (1958) nor Nikon F (1959).
I asked the Hassy list about this some of those guys are amazingly smart and
they swore it was accurate. Though that's would you would kind of expect
them to say.

A space scientist I can see wanting Brownie film. From that era.
As much as I love 35mm I'd sure agree.
Those square format shots with the LPD grid etched on it,
Certainly the only way to fly for shots like that.
So you can measure stuff.... And looks totally as the Brits say: Spot on!

They didn't need HCB up there.

Mark William Rabiner