Subject: [Leica] The Leica M8.2 Experience
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:25:48 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

In the end no one cares how quiet a camera is when you're using it every
day.
<<<

A few days ago I tried photographing some Calidris sandpipers (Western and
Least), early migrants returing from arctic breeding grounds.  Very active
little birds, had their heads buried in muddy water most of the time.
Sitting by the edge of the pond I'd wait for fifteen minutes before a few
came within range, I catch a moment when the bird's head was up and sort-of
facing me, one exposure and *POOF* they're gone.

I don't know if it was the sound of the shutter or the wink of the flipping
mirror but it spooked the birds.  I could wait another fifteen minutes
before they came back, then make another exposure (only to find, like the
previous exposure, that the sandpiper's head spins faster than an R8's
mirror rises). I tried the R8's stealth mode with marginally better success
so it may have been the sound after all - OTOH it was a windy day and the
birds were on edge anyway.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com - Microsoft? Exchange solutions from a leading provider -

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] The Leica M8.2 Experience)