Subject: [Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed, not collected
From: grdalton at hotmail.com (Gary Dalton)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:30:37 -0700

Hi, Nathan...
I recognize and respect your sentiments about destroying all Leicas with
engraved swastikas. The image you posted is a compelling basis from which to
make that case. Because I believe in turning things over in my mind to
challenge my existing belief systems, I discovered many strands within the
thread you have presented. In 10 minutes of admittedly shallow thinking, I
reaffirmed some of my earlier thinking on such issues and found a few more
to wonder about.

After being in total agreement, I slipped into that dark place within me
that could subscribe to the notion of melting all of those cameras down for
weaponry to use against halocaust deniers -- only if the need should arise.

I thought about taking one of those cameras and rehabilitating it by
grinding off the engraving and taking photos of everything beautiful the
Nazis tried to destroy... but never to shoot any of their misdeeds, e.g.
camps, ovens, etc. As strange as this sounds, I could only photograph those
sites with a "clean" camera to never let people forget what happened.

I drifted from there to whether I would want to own one of those cameras.
It's easy for me to say no. I am not a collector. Having said that, I
wouldn't want it in my house even if I needed a camera to use, period.

I wondered about collectors who had a gap in their Leica collections for
that time period. I am still thinking about that one, but I seem to be
leaning toward the notion of perpetuating the gap in the collection. A part
of me does understand how of a serious collector might coldly view one of
these engraved cameras as simply an object to complete a collection.

Finally, for avid collectors of Nazi memorabilia, I do have to wonder about
their intentions and motivations. And, knowing intentions and motivations is
key to any personal judgment calls I might make about them and what they do.

Thanks for the opportunity to think, Nathan. We need such reminders today
for very obvious reason...And, we should always be interested in turning
over those compost piles we call minds that lie between our ears to let some
fresh air in.

Regards,
Gary

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail?.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed, not collected)
Message from gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo) ([Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed, not collected)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed, not collected)
Message from pasvorn at boonmark.net (Pasvorn Boonmark) ([Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed, not collected)