Subject: [Leica] stop-down focussing (was: Re: FS: All of my R gear(sadly!))
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:38:44 -0400

John,

I found that I couldn't mix using Nikkor and R lenses. At least not in
the same photo outing. It was either one or the other. It wasn't because
of image quality so much as it throws me for loops if I try and switch
from zooms to primes, or AF to MF lenses, or the reverse, without some
break in between.

OTOH, if I stick with one thing I can get quite adept with it, even if
that one thing is a manual focusing, aperture ring turning, PITA
sounding substitute for what I wish existed but doesn't (i.e. full frame
R body with usable 25,000 ISO that cost around $2,500). :-)

For general photography I'm going minimalist and limiting myself to 28,
50 and 90 mm R lenses. Next I may go 180/3.5 or 80-200/4 (and eventually
maybe even both). Back when I had an 80-200 I think I used it wide open
99% of the time. Alas I thought "never sell Leica!" only referred to M.

While there's the aperture ring to deal with using F'N/R (which stands
for FmountNikonwithRlens and not something one might feel like saying in
reference to the latest R system news), there is a bright side. It frees
me from having to concern myself with the all those other little buttons
and menu choices on the D700. :-)

One thing I did do is program the function button so I can change the
custom focal length quickly when I swap between lenses. I'm not certain
if that's important, but perhaps some piece of code in the firmware
appreciates the heads up.

Dave R