Subject: [Leica] Berliner Mauer
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:33:52 -0400

Your photos brought back memories of how astonished I felt when I
returned to Berlin after having been away for some 36 years and visited
what I rememberd as a wasteland. That "wasteland" was Potsdamer Platz,
which before World War II was busiest place in Berlin and during the
Cold War was an empty space with a Wall, no man's land, and weeds. It
felt like the outskirts of the city rather than being in the the
middle, die Mitte. Today, it is rebuilt in brick, glass and metal and
could be anywhere in the world if you didn't stray a little to the
north and experience the vestiges of Preu?entum, which in the days of
the The German (un)Democratic Republic were even drabber than they are
today.

I personally don't like the new Potsdamer Platz, but the children of my
friends in Berlin enjoy it and hang out there. However, if I could find
an affordabl, modern apartment with a lift near the square, I'd take it
in a minute. Berlin is a great city to live in, as is K?benhavn.

Doug

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Berliner Mauer)