Subject: [Leica] Yes, THAT B. D. Colen....
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:49:04 -0400

At 04:36 PM 6/23/2009, you wrote:
>Thanks, Tina - I heard off-LUG that you took the Gene Richards workshop -
>what did you think?

It was the best workshop I've ever taken (well, I've only taken
three).  He inspired everybody in the class - there were 14.  We
worked really hard on daily assignments and he gave each of us an
hour's one-on-one critique of work we brought with us.  One of the
instructors at the workshop specialized in cutting everybody down to
nothing - supposedly so they could rebuild themselves.  Gene wasn't
like that at all.  He was very gentle, caring and nurturing but still
managed to give valuable critiques.  He offered to help me edit my
photos for a book (once I get them edited down from 500,000 to about
200!!)  The other instructors for the week were Larry Fink, David
Alan Harvey, and James Nachtwey.  I didn't take the other classes but
based on talking to other students, Gene was by far the best teacher.

Do you have his books?  I love The Fat Baby, Dorchester Days, and
Exploding into Life.  I'm not sure about his new work - color photos
of abandoned houses - but then I'm a B&W people lover.

Tina

PS  If you've heard rumors about the Body portion of Gene's workshop,
they are true.

Replies: Reply from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Yes, THAT B. D. Colen....)
Message from bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Yes, THAT B. D. Colen....)