Subject: [Leica] Dave's PAW (*) 2009 #25
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:05:49 -0500

>terrific Dave...very nice bw look...
>what is your process/workflow please?

Steve --
I do work in PS to make them look as much like Tri-X as I can.

I start off with the RAW file in ACW (which is unfortunately is shown to me
in color even though I have the camera set to b&w).

In ACW, I crop, convert to b&w, fiddle with the exposure, etc. as necessary
until I get it close.

Then I open the file in PS CS3 where I mess with levels and contrast more
precisely often using selections/layers. Like in this last one, I selected
the face and then the eyes to bring out more detail from the shadows. I also
burned down some of brightness of the lettering immediately around the guy.

Then I apply Tri-X "grain" using RealGrain. I may fiddle with the setting
here to make the grain look "right" depending on the image.

Probably fiddle with the tonal values some more here back in PS.

Then I save the PSD file at this point.

Now, I resize for the web, add the black border, add output sharpening using
Pixel Genius, and finally apply Platinum Tone with Pixel Genius' PhotoKit.

>incredibly provocative Dave.
>now require the interview and dvd
>;~)

George --

This week's character was a piece of work. I think he is something of a
fixture in Charlottesville VA where this picture was taken. He was telling
me all about his run-ins with the law. That's his work on the chalk board to
his left. I'm afraid that I don't remember his name.

>awesome character--
>How much is the creation of truth worth?

Ric --

He was sure to tell me that creation in his context was not the
fundamentalist religious concept.

Dave.

--
2009 PAW Gallery: www.david-keenan.com/paw