Subject: [Leica] IMG: Russian Train
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:22:08 -0700

I read a short story once.

A town, far away.

City hall had an atrium. On one side there were buttons by which you
could record your approval rating of the various officials, including
mayor.

On the other side was a rack, with medals of office. If you wanted to
become mayor, for example, and the post was vacant, you could at your
leisure pick up a medal, hang it around your neck and you would have
all the authority and power of that office as long as the medal was
on your chest. If you took off the medal, the authority, power and
other perks were gone.

As long as the general approval rating stayed reasonably high, you
were fine. If the approval rating sank too low, the medal exploded,
and the office became vacant again.

Exceptions excluded, I've always felt that the types of people who
sought public office are exactly those that shouldn't be allowed near
that office; a variation on the theme that any club that would have
me as a member is not one that I could stand being a part of.

Exceptions again; the LUG in particular.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com