Subject: [Leica] FS: 21/2.8 Elmarit ASPH 6-bit
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:32:35 -0700

At 9:44 AM -0700 6/4/09, Frank Filippone wrote:
>So what do you think of the new lens?
>
>Is there a possibility you could post a picture of the 2 lenses side by side
>for a physical comparison of the sizes?
>
>What did you use for a finder before the one you just received?  ( I bought
>the multi 21/24/28 finder..... )
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i at earthlink.net
>

>21mm/2.8 ASPH for sale, now that the new
>Summilux has taken its place.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hwulff/Stuff/20090325-IMG_1293.jpg.html

The Summilux is on the left, the Elmarit 3rd from left. The
M8/Summilux has an older black 28mm metal finder on it and the M6
LHSA/Elmarit has the plastic bodied 21 finder.

The '21mm' finder I got from Ken actually turned out to be a 24mm
finder in a '21mm' case. Somewhat disconcerting, but I decided to
keep it.

So I had a 21mm plastic finder, and I also have two semi-broken 21mm
metal finders - the kind that used to slip out of the shoe and smash
on concrete. I think I went through half a dozen while I used the
21SA a lot. Then I got smart and started using a 'cap keeper' tether
system which is on the 28 finder on the Summilux M8. Hard to see, but
it's on the side of the finder and attached to the strap ring.

I also have a 21 VC finder, but in general prefer the Leica plastic
finders in everyday use. Optically, the Zeiss are probably best, but
they stick up too much and have sharp corners, so they catch on
everything. The Leica plastic finder is low profile, is somewhat
rounded and stays in the shoe.

As you can see I also have the Frankenfinder with the WATE. It's a
very good finder in many ways, except it's big and ugly. I use it
when I'm using the WATE and the 12mm VC with the M8; then it's one
finder that covers everything.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design