Subject: [Leica] Why sharpen?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:19:39 -0700

At 5:59 AM -0700 6/4/09, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Probably an example would aid me......
>
>What I do not understand is why digital "requires" sharpening, when for the
>past 150 or so years, film did not.

With some film, it would have been extremely desirable, such as
colour negative. It just wasn't easy or controllable enough to be
practical.

B&W, as mentioned before, generally was sharpened and sometimes
oversharpened by using high accutance developers. You always had to
balance solvent action with some sort of edge enhancement to get the
best out of negatives. That's sharpening.

>Or was it that film did not have this facility ( other than some pretty
>obscure and relatively rarely used masking techniques) and digitally, the
>facility is only a mouse click away?

That's it, for a good part.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff