Subject: [Leica] Salgado now great image/camera ?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:06:07 -0500

Dave

Indeed we could discuss
scale
and
context
in art and photography
for days.

I experience Weston (and other's) contact prints,
down to 4x5, as amazing, glowing little jewels.

We've grown accustomed to experiencing Adams' prints
as large prints, posters and huge books.

Recent "art" photographs seem to "huge" no matter what or why
as if size were the point. And, indeed, almost any photograph
blown up to 40x60 will impress the eye for a while.

My sculpture professor said,
"the human head should never be sculpted larger than life size;
and preferably slightly smaller."

Choosing the appropriate size for a photographic image,
painting, drawing, sculpture, et al is as important an aesthetic
decision
as all the other decisions involved in the process.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com