Subject: [Leica] M8 Sharpening filter use - was: full sized samples
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 10:24:59 -0500

I do not see this discussion as an "argument;"
simply sharing points of view
on very subjective matters of style.

You're absolutely correct that
a Holga, pinhole, Nikon, Canon, or Leica cameras and lenses
fine grain slow film or grainy high speed film
tiny sensors or huge sensors
AA filters or none
can all make beautiful photographs
in the right hands.

We are not the only group discussing
the merits or lack there of AA filters on sensors.
The highest quality back manufacturers R&D teams
have been discussing the issue for a decade or more.
I'm quite sure that Nikon and Canon R&D teams have spent
many hundreds of hours discussing their use and degrees.

There are very real effects on the image quality to be considered and
discussed.
Just as there are real effects of
the enlarger lens used
the scanner used
the printer used
etc.

Each of us has our own little laboratory
where we experiment with these various devices
and report our hypothesis, proofs and opinions.

It is in the repetition of the experiments by others
which hold the most valuable and useful information.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com