Subject: [Leica] OT: D3x vs 'Blad CFV 16MP full sized samples
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:16:22 -0400

George and Thein,

I got caught in digest time warp and realized soon after I posted my
message  the issues I brought up were already being discussed. I usually
don't post anything unless I get current on my LUG reading, which has
been infrequent lately.

I remember some years back when digital cameras were something of a
novelty, someone on the LUG, maybe Jim Brick, alluded to the dumbing
down concept, which I didn't quite comprehend. He was probably referring
to AA filters and such.

When the Nikon D70 replaced the D100 everyone said the D70 was sharper.
There was lots of discussion regarding the AA filter. Then the M8 came
out without an AA filter. An up sprouts this closet industry where you
can pay to have the pesky AA filter from your Nikon body removed. What
the heck were those crazy Nikon engineers thinking when they put that
filter in there in the first place, thought I! Then I tried a modified
D200 and the sweater of one person in a group shot looked like the lead
in to the outer limits. "So that explains it." Well, not completely.
It's never that simple. Could've just been my bad luck. :-(

It's about options, and you're right that it's to have alternatives. I
wish I had 10 times the budget for photographic equipment that I've
allotted myself. Sadly, by choice I no longer generate any revenue from
photography. It's a hobby and which makes everything seem a little more
expensive (which after tax it is).

DaveR