Archived posting to the Leica Users Group, 2009/05/28[Author Prev] [Author Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Author Index] [Topic Index] [Home] [Search]
I have finished my repairs of the LUG archives. The purpose of these repairs was to make the search facility work again, which it does. An unpleasant side effect of repairs to the search facility is that I had to re-generate all of the index files used by the search, which took a long time. And during that long time, I had to leave updates turned off, because I couldn't have the archive be changing while I was re-indexing it. This problem was introduced when I moved the LUG to a new server computer in March, and only now have I finished figuring out what went wrong and fixing it. For the technically inclined, the problem was that the new server used v4.6 of Berkeley DB, and the LUG archives had been using v1.8 since the beginning. The file format compatibility finally broke, and I had to regenerate all of the BDB indexes, but I kept on finding version skew under musty old rocks, as this or that auxiliary program needed to be re-linked or upgraded to be compatible with BDB 4.6.