Subject: [Leica] VictorBlad
From: mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:42:35 +0800

The H backs are very different to the V back. Remember the V back is
quite a number of years old, whereas the D3x is brand new. Most
reviewers and experts agree that the D3x is the best 24x36 system
camera by some margin. I can tell you from my own experience of the V
back and D3x that the D3x has superior resolution; equal acuity;
better color accuracy; slightly better dynamic range, and of course
is useable above ISO 200. YMMV...but personally, I'd take a D3x over
the V back if I needed the resolution, and a H3D 65 over all of
those. Technology moves on...

On May 28, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Very few people of any circumstance would agree with medium format
> digital
> being wiped the floor with any 24x36 format camera system
> regardless of
> "resolution".
> It has just no basis in logic or practice or anything else.
> Experience.
> Testing. Results.
>
> There is a reason why top pros for top jobs rent Hasselblad H's and
> V's.
> They and their art directors and editors are not idiots who should be
> listening to discerning advice from guys who buy and sell cameras
> systems
> back and forth endlessly on eBay on camera gear chat lists.
>
> Unless it was in the respect of somebody who felt starting from in
> the area
> of film that Leica shooting wiped the floor of Hasselblad  use.
> That the
> results were not worth the speed and spontaneity loss.
> And then we are talking about spontaneity and speed issues not
> quality of
> image issues. And rather narrow mindedly. Sure some 35mm shooters have
> gotten by with never shooting medium format.
> But For decades both commercial photographers as well as
> photojournists and
> who ever else have known there are times the quality of image
> demands a
> larger format than what they normally might use.
>
> For some reason what comes to mind is Jim Marshall famous Leica
> rock and
> roll and jazz shooter who showed us stuff taken with rented Blads.
> Jean-Loup Sieff  you'd' think never parted with his Leica and 21 super
> Angulon.
> There's no difference with digital capture.
> Acreage is pretty much always going to be the bottom line.
>

> Mark William Rabiner

THEIN Onn Ming
*photohorologer ming at www.mingthein.com
www.flickr.com/mingthein