Subject: [Leica] M8.2 SD card test results
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 11:59:20 -0500

The SD card write times were so crappy for the supposedly high-end Hoodman
RAW SD card I bought with my M8.2, I decided to buy a variety of cards and
test them.

The times shown are only as accurate as my ability to hit the Start and Stop
button on my iPhone stopwatch function when the read/write LED on the camera
first came on and when it stopped. I repeated each test at least three times
to make sure the times were more or less consistent. The time recorded is
last time measured. I formatted the card in camera prior to the tests.

All cards are 4GB except for the Hoodman which is 8GB.

Card                              RAW          RAW+Fine JPG
==============       =======     ============
Sandisk Extreme III          3.9               10.8
Kingston SDHC               4.5                11.5
Lexar 133x                      6.6                14
Transcend                       4.2                11.4
Hoodman                        7.0                15

People have told me to toss the +Fine JPG selection but I only shoot in
black and white and never want to see a color image. The JPG is necessary to
see the preview image on the camera in b&w. I rarely look at these but when
I do I want a b&w image.

Needless to say I've switched to the Sandisk.

Are these times consistent with what others experience?
.
Dave.

--
2009 PAW Gallery: www.david-keenan.com/paw