Subject: [Leica] Troubleshooting
From: grdalton at hotmail.com (Gary Dalton)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:10:22 -0700

A black band is showing up on some of my prints. This band encroaches from
the right edge of a print (if you think of it as a landscape perspective) in
varying widths -- 1/10 of the way into the print all the way up to 2/3. But,
sometimes it's not there at all. If I am shooting from portrait perspective,
the black encroachment occurs at the top of the image.

Regardless of how far it might extend into the image, the remaining part of
the exposed image can be just fine, even perfect.

The line where the black band meets the "good" image is not usually a clean
cut line; I want to say it's fuzzy, soft, less opaque than the rest of the
black band. When it intrudes 2/3 the way across a print, it tends to be more
clean cut, with a more definite edge. It isn't soft or fuzzy.

I am wondering if I have a shutter curtain issue... The bands appear way to
organized to simply be a leak. At least, that's my novice notion.

Because it IS difficult to rewind a roll of film, I thought it might be a
film advance issue. But, none of the images seem to be overlapping each
other. If it weren't for the black bands encroaching from the edge, what I
composed would still be there.

Your thoughts?

Windows Live?: Keep your life in sync.

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Troubleshooting)