Subject: [Leica] 90 APO Asph on M8
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 11:42:12 +0930

>Mmm...75 lux...

It is hard to get the 75 Summilux to focus like it is meant to on an
M8.  Once you have succeeded, you then face a considerable amount of
focus shift.  As designed by Dr Mandler and as adjusted by Leica or
any other good repair person (as calibrated for the M8, or any other M
Leica, really), the 75 Lux has slight front focus at f/1.4 - it's so
slight you really only notice it right close up, and as you stop down
focus shifts backward but within the depth of field. You can get the
lens adjusted for perfect focus at f/1.4, but then your focus point is
outside the depth of field to f/8.  I chose not to have this done
because I have only one 75 mm lens.  I did get my Noctilux adjusted to
focus perfectly at f1, but I have more than one 50 mm lens.

I really like the 75 Summilux, but I agree with Geoff, for the M8 or
8.2, the 75 Summicron is the way to go.

Marty

Replies: Reply from mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming) ([Leica] 90 APO Asph on M8)