Subject: [Leica] a quick hello, now M 8.2
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 06:09:00 -0700

I got the M8.2 because my M8 needed repair 48 hours before I was leaving on
a 3-week trip to Australia and I figured I could sell the M8 after it came
back from repair. I didn't want to get on the airplane without a proper
camera.

I find that when I am using a camera, I think about the picture and not
about the camera, and so I couldn't possibly answer the question comparing
an M8.2 to an M8. I guess the shutter is probably quieter, and I guess the
framelines are probably more accurate. The new viewscreen is the only
obvious difference. Don't pooh-pooh the sapphire glass. It's better. Whether
or not it's worth the extra money is a question I can't answer.

I do miss the fastest shutter speed but I fear that its absence is an
inseparable part of the new quieter shutter. When I sent my M8 off for
repair, I had them upgrade the shutter, and it came back with a dial that
has neither 1/8000 nor idiot "S" mode.

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] a quick hello, now M 8.2)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (TED GRANT) ([Leica] An 80th birthday party! :-))
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] a quick hello, now M 8.2)