Subject: [Leica] a quick hello
From: mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 09:18:11 +0800

On May 23, 2009, at 5:06 AM, David Rodgers wrote:

> I don't see that much functional difference between an M8 and a DSLR
> coupled with small prime lenses. If you compare a DSLR with a big zoom
> then sure there's a difference. Somehow, though, I can't envision
> that a
> APS Nikon body with a Cosina 20, 45P or 100E is going to make
> people --
> photographer or photographee -- too uncomfortable. I've also seen big
> prints (40 inches though not mine) from Nikon APS cameras that are
> absolutely stunning.

Agree. Some of my best work was done with a D40 and the kit zoom.
Seriously. But the VF is so darn small that focusing any of those
lenses is difficult, and there's also no metering.

> With lenses 60 mm and longer I'm more proficient with the the D700. I
> just like TTL viewing with telephoto lenses. With WA's (i.e. 24-35)
> it's
> a wash. I like either TTL or rangefinder. When I get to super wides
> (21
> or wider),  I prefer to use a rangefinder.

Agree too. I tried the 90 pre AA cron on the M8 and just couldn't
focus or frame it accurately - blame it on the spectacles, perhaps.
I'll stick to my D90 and VR telephotos for this.

> There are times I wish I had an M8. But I did a lot of soul searching
> regarding the fact that I really only need one digital camera body. I
> opted for a DSLR. I decided that I can do everything with a DSLR
> that I
> can do with an M8, but not visa versa.

If you had to choose...technically, I agree. But artistically? That's
up to you.

> I've yet to see a zoom lens outperform a good prime. But then zooms
> have
> their advantages. Also, corner performance on a smaller chip will
> always
> be better than on a larger chip, unless there's something really wrong
> with the lens.

Disagree. The Nikon 14-24/2.8 outperforms pretty much every F mount
prime in that range, if for the only reason the primes are all pretty
old and don't benefit from the same optical wizardry.

Best
Ming

> DaveR

THEIN Onn Ming