Subject: [Leica] Looking for extension tube
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 21:56:44 -0500

At 07:40 PM 3/3/2009, Ric Carter wrote:
 >thanks anyway!

Ric

I did more digging but no joy:  no one gives the
tube length.  Lager suggests that the tube was
shared between the various versions of this rig
and that the difference was in the length of the
legs.  I have only seen these in collections and
have never used any of them, though somewhere I
have a Japanese version for Leica from the 1950's.

Even the catalogues have proven of no
assistance.  I would suggest that you contact any
of the following, as they probably have these in
their personal collections and can measure the
tube for you.  I do not have e-mails on any of
them but can provide mailing addresses for several.

Jim Lager               New Jersey?
Dan Black               Philadelphia
Randy Hooper            Lexington, KY
Emil Keller             upstate New York

Seth can probably put you in touch with all of
them.  Emil might be your best bet, as he worked
for Ernst Leitz Wetalar before the War, then
shifted to ELNY, served as the senior US Army
agent at Wetzlar after the War, and then returned
to ELNY.  He was a very close friend of Ernst
Leitz II, Ludwig Leitz, and of Ernst Leitz III.

I am an accumulator and a user and a student but
these reproduction devices just have never been
on my radar screens.  You were correct to ask if
I had knowledge of them, but you have completely
caught me at a loss and the literature I have at
hand simply fails to provide a length for the 1:1
tube.  <sigh>  Lager, Morgan and Morgan, the catalogues, und so weiter ....

The original owner probably had a leak in his
bathroom one night and found that the 1:1 tube
made a perfect fit for the leaky part of the
pipe.  I am certain that it is still there today,
still doing its job, albeit not the job for which it was intended.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Looking for extension tube)