Subject: [Leica] M8 upgrades
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:57:46 +0800

> Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:05:58 +1000
> From: Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Leica] WAS Re:  New M8 Firmware 2.004 NOW M8 upgrades
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Howard can you please tell me about your experience using that Hong
> Kong
> agency to perform the upgrades for you?

It went smoothly once they got all the spare parts in from Germany

> Waiting list?

I was about number 40 on the list

> Which options did you get?

I got them all, shutter, non scratch glass, and new lines in the
finder (this last one is the most valuable IMHO)

> Time to perform the work?

About 6 weeks - they were out of the non scratch glass for awhile

> Any issues?

It cost HK$14,000 for the lot - that is US$1800 which I thought was
expensive.
That was before the recent price increase. I could have sold my M8 for
enough (I think)
to buy a new M8.2 with the additional HS$1800.
But I did get another year's warranty with the upgrade and with the
latest 2.004 software upgrade
I basically have an M8.2 minus the stupid "snap shot" mode

> Cheers
> Geoff

Cheers Back
Howard