Subject: [Leica] M8 firmware update
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:39:13 -0800

Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 firmware update

On Mar 3, 2009, at 10:15 AM, George Lottermoser wrote:

> installed without difficulty.

> the difference in sound of the 'discreet'

> is meaningless in real world photography

> (to my ear)

Steve Barbour offered in response to George Lottermoser:

agree...the thwunk is unchanged, but the quiet rewind is delayed....

and I've gotten to like the thwunk, which is no bother,

Hi Steve & George,

I bet if anything, it's more psychological than actual noise level
difference! First off, once the upgrade is installed every shooter is "now
intone with every ear hair fine tuned to listening!" They'd here an ostrich
in the zoo hiccup from 10 klms away! Under the increased noise level of the
world around us these days most of the "M8 noise" is lost in the atmosphere
of the present surroundings.

My understanding was that once the new upgrade was installed and shutter
tripped, it was near silent action of shutter and rewind. If that isn't the
case it becomes a "no big deal!"  Get over it, move on taking pictures and
leave the damn noise thing to the historians!

After my shooting assignment with the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra  during
a concert and nobody even blinked, gave me dirty looks or made any
indication to "shooooshhhh me" to be quiet. I figure just leave well enough
alone and keep on clicking. If the Great Spirit in his/her infinite wisdom
let's me buy a new M8.2 and it's quieter, fine. But at the moment any
experiences I've had so far with the plain old fashioned M8 has been just
fine without any bothersome noise. Nor from subjects or bystanders.

Is it possible some M8's are louder than others for whatever reason?  And
that's why the different noise re-actions from some users?

And Steve like you, I just like the plain old fashion M8 sound "thwunk!" :-)

Cheers,

Dr. ted