Subject: [Leica] New lenses and S2
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:40:40 +1000

Frank, as you say, I think that is so about sensors in general. If you are
curious there are some other differences with this new sensor discussed in
the blog and the L Camera forum thread. I noted that the  Kodak sensor uses
angled micro lenses around the periphery like the M8 arrangement. Also the
lens formulations take into account the cover glass (and I guess the IR
filter component ?) in their formulation. They are describing a mm of glass
over the sensor vs. I think half a mm on the M8 sensor. The lens flange
distance is obviously much larger too. Maybe an advantage there when Leica
have started with a clean slate for this systems design. It certainly will
be fascinating to see some real world results once the system actually gets
into production and out in the world.

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] New lenses and S2)