Subject: [Leica] Re; OT for jazz fans
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:32:41 -0800 (PST)

Phil wrote:

> For the jazz fans here, I just returned from seeing a marvelous 2007
> documentary about the jazz singer Anita O'Day.  Really a scintillating
> film about one of jazz's less-appreciated geniuses.  Her creativity had
> me in tears a lot of the time.  The NYT review is here:
> http://tinyurl.com/depk4m

Phil, O'Day wrote an autobiography--High Times, Hard Times.  (Forgive me if
you've read it already.)  It's a hoot.  Quite funny, in a very dark way.
Here's the first line:  "Joe Glaser, who was my booking agent for many
years, used to say, 'Anita, you've got a million dollars' worth of talent
and no class."

And, yeah, she could sing.

--John, delurking after a couple of years of silence

John Edwin Mason
Documentary and Motor Sports Photography:
http://johnedwinmason.typepad.com/
Charlottesville, Virginia
Cape Town, South Africa