Subject: [Leica] OT - Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar T* lens
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Thu Dec 18 22:27:01 2008

Frank,

I have the Nikon version of this Zeiss lens.  You can buy a review here:
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/ReviewInfo.html

or read the review of the Nikon version (for free) here:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/255-zeiss-planar-zf-t-50mm-f14-review--lab-test-report

The typical criticism of this lens is the harsh bokeh wide open.

Here is my experience on a D300.  I got a special split screen
focusing screen so that I could focus the lens.  Without that it is
very hard to focus with the typical screen in a DSLR.  Even so, it is
still hard to focus.  You have a focus assist on the Nikon for manual
lenses, but that makes use very slow, while you check the screen.
Further, the assist isn't that accurate.  Manual focus on the M8 is
way way better than the DSLR split screen.  I also found the focus
ring to be a bit stiff; maybe that would release over time.
Otherwise, the mechanical quality is very high; reminds me of Leica.

Now to the optical quality.  It is better than the Nikon f/1.4 D wide
open for contrast and resolution, but the bokeh on the Nikon D is
smoother.  I just got the new Nikon f/1.4 G lens, and this new lens
seems better than the Zeiss wide open, and the auto focus on the D300
is better and more consistent than the Zeiss.  Also, the bokeh on the
G lens is smoother.

At f/8 I can't tell any difference between any of these lenses.

So, my feeling is that the Nikon version is not worth the premium over
the new Nikon G lens, and I intend to sell it.  Actually, I think I
will post it tonight.  I am not familiar with Canon 50 mm lenses,
however.

In short, you got the Canon in part for auto-focus.  Stick with high
end Canon glass.  If you want to manual focus, grab your Leica.

Regards,
Bob Rose

Message: 28