Subject: [Leica] M8 filters
From: jean.louchet at gmail.com (Jean Louchet)
Date: Sat Nov 8 12:40:17 2008

Hi Eric,

> Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 20:58:03 +0000
> From: Eric Calderwood <eric.calderwood@btinternet.com>
[snip]
> Yes, both B+W and Heliopan, as well as Leica of course, both make UV/IR Cut
> Filters.
> Leica recommend their use on lenses 35mm and wider.

No, it's a bit more complicated.

First, using or not an IR blocking filter, does not depend on focal
length but on the scene. It will usually make a difference in
interiors (incandescent light) where dark synthetic clothes would
appear reddish without the filter.

Second, using an IR blocking filter tends to give a different colour
balance between the centre and the periphery of the picture, which is
only noticeable when using a lens 35mm or wider.
Therefore, if using a lens 35mm or less AND an IR blocking filter, it
is necessary to use the 6-bit code which allows the M8 firmware to
make the colour balance correction corresponding to the lens used, and
adjust the menu settings accordingly.

In other words, when I shoot outside (natural light), I never use any
IR blocking filter even with the 21mm or the CV 15mm. Inside, e.g.
taking pictures at theatre stages, I use an IR blocking filter even
with the 50mm.

Jean  .

Replies: Reply from eric.calderwood at btinternet.com (Eric Calderwood) ([Leica] M8 filters)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] M8 filters)