Subject: [Leica] M8 in the cold
From: lkhermann at bresnan.net (lkhermann)
Date: Sat Nov 8 08:34:14 2008

Hello LUG,

I believe that I have read that Alastair Firkin  is going to the
Antarctic with his M8 and DMR.  I am uncertain how cold it will be in
Anarctic spring or summer, but I have used my M8 in the cold of
Wyoming fall and winter and when the temperature drops below 25
degrees F.  I have had trouble with what I imagine is a cold
battery.  The camera shutter does not work and when I replace the
battery with a warm battery it works fine.  Is my camera unique?  Has
anyone had these problems with their digital cameras.  Should
Alastair consider a heated camera bag or extra warm batteries.  He
should be ready for that once in a lifetime photo op.  An M6 with
film would probably not notice the  temperature.

Lee

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] M8 in the cold)