Subject: [Leica] WAS: - NEW STUFF FOR CRITIQUE: NOW 6 MOONS OF EARTH & HOW IT WAS DONE!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Sep 26 15:25:08 2008

SIX MOONS OF EARTH!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/leicated/ted+grant/

How it was shot! :-)

Absolutely true, it is not a fiddled PhotoShop image.

This is in camera. Leica SL2 created multi image at 40,000 feet on a return
flight south from the High Arctic on a very clear full moon night.

Me, "WOW! Look at the moon I wonder if I can shoot it and make something out
of it?"

Then I remembered there was a little lever on the SL2 by the re-wind lever
you could move that & lock the film in place, but you could re-cock the
shutter without the film moving. As many times as you wished.

I pulled the camera out of the bag with the, I think the 50 f 1.4 Summilux
or the 80mm 1.4 Summilux. It really doesn't matter because whatever it was
it worked.

I looked through the viewfinder placing the moon on one side of the
viewfinder with the idea of making an exposure, re-cock shutter, re-align
moon by eye, make next exposure. Doing that for what was, on this frame 7
moons. The seventh I cropped as it was way off to the right hand side and
useless.

Now keep in mind this is 'FILM!"  :-) So each positioning of the moon was  a
Hail Mary guess without a digital screen to look at for composing. Meanwhile
the plane is merrily flying along southward.

The meter readings? Whatever the camera figured out and I went click!

It was all by guess and by God. If it worked it would be cool. If it didn't?
You never told anybody about it and threw the screwed-up slides away!

See how simple it can be without all the techie stuff! :-) But damn I bet we
had far more fun without thought because we loved what we were doing and
tried stuff just to see what it looked like without thinking whether it
worked or not. :-)

So there you are as KISS simple as it can be. Trust the camera and yourself
and "click!"

ted

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] WAS: - NEW STUFF FOR CRITIQUE: NOW 6 MOONS OF EARTH & HOW IT WAS DONE!)