Subject: Drowning men - was Re: [Leica] Surprises at Photokina
From: red735i at earthlink.net (red735i@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 15 10:16:41 2008

AS I said, I get the "crop factor" wrong...1.33 it is.  ( Maybe I can
remember ....) 21mm on an M8 = 28mm on an M6.

Normally I would agree with you by using the same f stop, and yes, even then
the M8 loses because it needs the wider lens with the attendent greater DOF.
 If you use the new Luxes on an M8 against the older Elmarits on the M6, for
the SAME AOV, and at their respective maximum apertures, you do not get any
perceptible improvement.

In this instance, the issue was isolating your main interest by using a wide
open lens with a given AOV onto the "sensor".

If you want max isolation, for now, use a film camera with the Luxes or keep
your old Elmarits and save your pennies to buy the M-9 and pray it has a
24x36 sensor. If you have a M8, you get no improvement in isolation compared
to the M6, but the Luxes are obviously better in this regard than the
Elmarits.

Film still rules......Until a 24x36 sensor is delivered in an M camera.

Frank

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) (Drowning men - was Re: [Leica] Surprises at Photokina)