Subject: [Leica] 21/1.4??
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Travel)
Date: Wed Sep 10 22:27:36 2008

Clayton.. I agree with all your points... DOF is not the end of the
discussion....

WRT the Film Users..... Yes, but there is a push to Digital even from
Leica..... the film users only have an M7 ( or MP) to buy these days.. and
it is doubtful ( my point of view) there ever will be another, improved film
camera from Leica.  BTW, the fix is to put in a roll of higher ASA film...
as we have done for the past, what, 150 years?  New films ( Fuji 800 for
example, unpushed) are better than we have ever had in the past... and they
do not cost $12K.

Yes, ( and I have said this myself) when you run out of light, the only
savior is a faster lens.  But at $12K ( OK maybe a bit lower) it will be a
limited film market for amateurs only ( Pros use digital.... or should use
digital only, professionally.)   In effect, it is cheaper to buy a M8 and a
21 F2.8 ASPH then to buy a 21 F1.4.  I do not see a market here.  Ditto the
24.

WRT Digital users... Either Leica improves the low light and  high ASA
performance, or they will be gone.  The whatever-they-call-the M8+++ Must
have improved high ASA performance.  SO fixing the bad performance with a
$12K lens is rather absurd.

Engineering genius, yes.  Market genius, No.

Yes, I lust also.... especially the 21.  But it is just out of my reach....
like for a lot of amateur users it will remain lust.

Frank

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] 21/1.4??)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] 21/1.4??)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Travel) ([Leica] 21/1.4??)